A Personalized Approach To Your Unique Imbalances and Tendencies
Ayurveda Is About Finding Unique Imbalances
Ayurveda originates from India and is based on thousands of years of knowledge and practice. It is based on finding your imbalance along with the five elements
The five elements are translated from Sanskrit and provide a deeper context into who you are beyond what the word “element” means in English. A deeper description is below.
Earth: a measure of physical and mental structure and stability
- Balanced state: strong bones, healthy collagen, ability to take on stress
- Imbalanced state: overly oily skin, pores can be larger, put on weight more quickly, sugar cravings are high, constipation, depressed thoughts, stubbornness
Water: a measure of physical and mental fluidity and structure
- Balanced state: Healthy water content in skin, body, and hair, high antioxidant capacity, adaptable both physically and mentally
- Imbalanced state: high skin oil production, swelling in the face and body, brain fog
Fire: a measure of physical metabolism and mental focus and intensity
- Balanced state: Good skin and body metabolism, focused and goal-driven
- Imbalanced state: Skin and body inflammation, Sensitive skin, diarrhea and flatulence, hyper-intense, anger and frustration
Air: a measure of physical and mental movement and mobility
- Balanced state: Good blood flow, Healthy skin elasticity, creativity
- Imbalanced state: Skin aging and thinning, hair thinning and hair loss, brittle/dry hair and nails, gas and bloating, diarrhea, mental rumination, anxiety, insomnia
Ether: a measure of physical and mental space and capacity for feelings
- Balanced state: Emotional and psychological confidence and safety, normal and healthy aging of the skin,
- Imbalanced state: Skin thinning, Thinning hair and loss of hair density, Skin and body aging, anxiety and insomnia, burn-out.
Personalization in Ayurvedic Medicine
During the visit, you will be asked about your concerns with your skin and body. However, because of the holistic nature of Ayurveda, you will also be asked questions about diet, lifestyle habits, stress, relationships, and sleep as all of these play a role in your general health and impact your skin and body. These detailed questions will help us understand your unique tendencies and identify your imbalances.
Therapies are tailored to your imbalances through a mix of the following.
- Diet and food pairings
- Stress management techniques
- Meditation and breathing practices
- Topical oils and botanicals
- Nutritional therapies such as fasting
- Esthetician services such as Shirodhara
No. Every diet is tailored to the individual’s imbalance. Simply eating a generic “well-balanced” diet is not considered optimal for everyone. For people with imbalances in the Earth element, foods need to be lighter and spicier. On the other hand for people with an imbalance in the Air element, foods needs to be heavier and more nourishing and raw, leafy vegetables are not well suited for those with Air imbalances.
Ayurveda is a holistic system of medicine that can be helpful for any condition. One of the advantages of Ayurveda is that it is able to uncover imbalances before they turn into an overt disease and corrections can be made earlier and in a more preventative fashion.
Absolutely! One of the benefits of Ayurveda is that it can be used to optimize your skin health from the outside and the inside. What this means is that topical therapies and formulations and oral formulations can further augment your cosmetic treatments and work together.